|Sweet Cheese Strudel Filling |
Enough for 1 strudel
- 1 1/2 lb cottage cheese (small curds)
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2-3 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 C powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F on convection baking setting. If oven does not have convection, use same temperatures but will just need to bake a little longer and will need to rotate pan half way through baking.
- In a food processor (or using a hand mixer with a large bowl), blend everything together until smooth. Leave in the fridge until needed.
- Along a long edge of stretched dough about 4 inches from the edge, dollop cheese filling.
- Fold dough edge over to cover filling. Fold the short side edges over to cover the ends. Lift the sheet slowly to gently roll the strudel.
- Grease a sheet pan with Crisco/butter mixture. If using parchment paper or silicone baking mat, grease the top of sheet/mat. Lift strudel into pan, making an “S” shape to fit. Generously brush the top and side of strudel with Crisco/butter mixture.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 400 degrees F. If using convection baking, bake for another 20 minutes. If using standard baking, bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the strudel is golden brown.
- Cool a bit before serving. Best served warm.
- Reheat in oven at 325 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes to crisp up dough and warm the cheese filling.
Recipe by CAB Cooks at http://www.cabcooks.com/2012/11/27/cheese-strudel-challenge/